Friday, June 08, 2007

Old Gentleman



Here is my latest portrait. The work-in-progress/"ugly stage" was posted in yesterday's entry. This portrait features my golden retriever, Sunny. The reference photo was taken as Sunny napped on my kitchen floor, with his ear hanging into his water dish. Although this isn't the most interesting composition, I think it conveys the feeling of the moment. It also shows the typical senior golden napping position.

Here are the details of the piece... It is 11x14" landscape on smooth, white vellum paper. The piece is drawn with soft pastel sticks (traditional soft pastels).

I'm still not sure how I feel about this one. I guess I wanted more detail in the foreground. It's difficult to photograph Sunny with life in his eyes. He's very old and appears tired in almost every picture.

0 comments: